BizChecks Payroll Updates During COVID-19
April 9, 2020
March 31, 2020 Update
We would like to thank all of our clients who have been patient and supportive of the payroll changes that we have made to respond to the Covid crisis.
There is a tremendous amount of information that is changing daily regarding the CARES Act, the Paycheck Protection Program, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, and additional relief programs being offered by the government. We will continue to focus our updates on those programs that are directly related to payroll and would encourage you to stay informed by consulting with your CPA, your bank, and follow the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce updates.
Below are some important updates:
1. Families First Coronavirus Act
- The IRS has clarified that April 1st is the start date for FFCRA payroll tax credits
- Tax credits are available for paid leave provided from April 1 to December 31, 2020
- If you key in your payroll online, please use the earnings codes below to input and track the Covid-19 Paid Sick and Covid-19 Paid FMLA
- If you report your payroll via phone, fax, or email please let your CSR know what hours are to be designated as Covid Sick or Leave.
- Tax credits against the employer portion of the employer social security tax include paid Covid-19 leave wages, the employer share of medicare on qualified leave wages, and qualified health plan expenses.
Covid-19 Paid Sick– Please use this code to pay sick time paid under the Families First Act.
Covid-19 Paid FMLA– Please use this code to pay leave time that qualifies under the Families First Act.
Covid-19 Qualified Health Plan Expenses– Please use this memo code to track any qualified health care expenses.
2. Paycheck Protection Program
- Passed March 27th the CARES Act provides financial relief to small businesses through loans, grants, and credit programs
- The Paycheck Protection Program enables small businesses to receive a loan for up to 2.5x the average monthly payroll costs.
- Seasonal Employers may receive up to 2.5x the average monthly payroll costs for the 12 week period beginning February 15, 2019 or March 1st, 2019 (decided by the employer) and ending June 30, 2019.
- Payroll costs include all wages paid for salary, commission, pto, severance, group health benefits, retirement benefits, and state or local tax assessed on wages.
- Compensation in excess of $100,000 is excluded as is any qualified sick or leave time covered under the Families First Act.
- Borrowers are eligible for loan forgiveness equal to the amount spent during the 8 week period immediately following the beginning date of the loan for any payroll costs, rent or utilities..
Employers must maintain the same number of Full Time Equivalent Employees during a specified period of time.
**Our software partner, iSolved, is developing a report to provide employers with the average payroll costs and is looking to release this report by the end of the week.
***Applications will be completed and funds issued through your bank and are not yet available. Please consult with your bank for details.
March 20, Update
As we continue to navigate through these unprecedented times, all of us at BizChecks Payroll feel that it is critical to communicate important information regarding not only our payroll processing changes but also any new government relief efforts. We will continue to share any information we receive from our Chambers of Commerce and contacts in the government.
Below is an update to our payroll processing policies effective today 3/20:
- Payroll Processing– All of us at BizChecks will continue to be available to assist you with your payroll processing needs. Our team is working remotely and is available during regular business hours via email. The best method of contacting your CSR is via email although our reps. will be periodically checking their voicemails.
- Deliveries of Payrolls by BizChecks Couriers- Effective today in order to keep our employees and clients safe we are suspending the delivery of payroll packages by the BizChecks Couriers. We will move immediately to the following methods of delivery:
- Regular mail
- Priority mail
- Express mail through the USPS
- Curbside pick-up at our office
- Manual checks issued by employer
Please remember that with our iSolved payroll software you will always have the ability to access your payroll registers and write net checks directly to your employees. This capability will be extremely important should the Governor decide to issue a shelter in place order.
Also, please note that BizChecks Payroll provides direct deposit services for employers at no additional charge. With many banks limiting access to on-site services, now would be the perfect time to transition from paper checks to direct deposit. Please ask your CSR about this service.
3. Funding of Payroll– All of us are confronting significant cash flow issues as a result of this crisis. It is critical that if you cannot fund your payroll that you not submit the payroll through our system. This would result in significant fees and penalties as well as reversals to your employees accounts. Please contact Larry Drago at firstname.lastname@example.org or at extension 201 to discuss your options.
4. Unemployment information-You can find information on unemployment benefits and the application procedure on our website.
5. Families First Coronavirus Act- Information about this relief act for those impacted by the Coronavirus is available on our website.
March 16, 2020 Update
I am sure that you have been inundated with emails from your vendors and others regarding the Coronavirus. While we certainly do not want to add to your burden, there is some important information that we need to communicate regarding your payroll processing.
Most importantly, the entire BizChecks Team is here for you. We recognize that we are stronger together and the staff at BizChecks will do everything possible to help our neighbors navigate this crisis.
In order to continue to provide uninterrupted service while keeping our employees and clients safe, we are making the following changes:
- Payroll Processing– Effective Tuesday, 3/17 our customer service representatives will be working remotely. They will continue to process your payrolls and answer any payroll questions that you may have.
- Reporting Payroll- Although your BizChecks rep. will be able to process your payrolls and make any changes/additions to your payroll, they will not be answering their phones in real time. They will be checking their voicemails periodically and returning calls as needed. The most effective way to communicate with them will be via email. You may continue to fax your payroll to us or of course key your payroll in through the online portal. If you normally report your payroll via phone, we strongly encourage you to email the hours to your csr.
- Transmission of confidential information– You should continue to provide us with confidential information via our secure email system at https://bizcheckspayrollinc.myfileguardian.com or fax us at 866-932-9729.
- Deliveries– Our couriers will take appropriate precautions and continue to deliver payrolls on our normal schedule. Please let us know if your office is closing so that we may make alternate shipping arrangements.
- Regular mail, Priority Mail, and FedEx– As of today, there has been no disruption to these services. For those clients receiving their payrolls via mail, pml, or fedex, we will continue to send your payroll using these methods.
- PFML Fee Postponement– We understand that all businesses will be facing significant financial pressures during this crisis. For this reason, we are postponing the collection of the PFML quarterly filing fee until the last payroll in April.
- Legislation- Proposals regarding relief for employees and employers continue to be considered by Federal and State authorities and we will update you as plans become finalized.
All of us at BizChecks are committed to doing whatever is necessary to help our clients navigate the challenges of this crisis.
Please feel free to reach out to me directly at email@example.com or extension 201 with any questions or concerns or if we can help in any way.